Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enforcing password strength on NON-networked PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimmy613

Programmer
Feb 14, 2011
US
I have Windows 7 Home Premium and would like to force all "standard" (non-administrative) users to create passwords with the following rules:[ol]
[li]at least 8 characters long[/li]
[li]has a mix of numbers and letters[/li]
[li]has at least one "other" (~!@#$%^&, etc.) character[/li][/ol]

I believe "group policy" is not an option as my computer isn't networked with others, and it's not using Active Directory...

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Shimmy

As you don't have access to Local Users and Groups in MMC, see if you can get at least some options from an Elevated Command prompt with the Net Accounts command for Minimum Password length and Minimum Password Age?

C:\Windows\system32>net accounts /?
The syntax of this command is:

NET ACCOUNTS
[/FORCELOGOFF:{minutes | NO}] [/MINPWLEN:len
[/MAXPWAGE:{days | UNLIMITED}]
[/UNIQUEPW:number] [/DOMAIN]

Ben, unfortunately, Local Security Policy isn't available in Home Premium.

Linney, so it sounds like that will get me the minimum length, at least.

(Thank you, both!)

I Googled around but cannot find a registry tweak (or otherwise) to enforce the type of password I'm looking for. Anyone have better luck finding anything?

Thanks!
Shimmy

Group Policy and MMC settings probably alter Registry settings, or create Registry settings. The trick is finding out which or what.

If you have a PRO or Ultimate version, and if you play around with the various settings, and see what each setting does to the Registry then you might get some clues.

This is a handy program to know about, in that if you really want to dive in and get dirty you could take a snapshot of a Registry before making the change and another one afterward and see if you can pick up any changes. This small freeware program may help you achieve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back