Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

end to end latency test

Status
Not open for further replies.

teqmod

Technical User
Sep 13, 2004
US
Hello all,

We have a couple remote offices experiencing some difficulty with Citrix speed. The refresh on the screen is a bit clunky. I was wondering if there was a utility someone could recommend for testing the network speed (latency) from point to point. I want to see how good/bad our connection is directly to our overseas office.

Thanks

a rudimentary test would be to run TRACERT or PATHPING to see how many hops it takes to get from pt A to pt B. I haven't worked on Citrix env for awhile, but from what I recall response becomes brutal with a latency of greater than 400ms. We used to have this problem with latent links and we deployed Packeteer's Packetshaper appliances in order to prioritize Citrix traffic (whic you can also do on your Cisco routers through QoS). Hope this helps.

teqmod,
itsp1965 hit it right on the head.
Do some ping tests from your client to your servers and vise versa. If you see anything over 150ms response time you will start seeing performance degration.

That is when your Packeteers come in play and your QOS devices. Also, try to slim down your ICA packet by disabling the audio on your published applications, not connecting all kinds of client devices if not needed and also doing some printer bandwidth restrictions.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, we are not mapping printers since they will not need to print out at the remote office and audio is disabled.

I will take a look at the packeteer to see if that can help.

Packetshaper is an awsome product, however you really do need it both ends. Then you can guarantee a minimum bandwidth to be available to Citrix traffic. Even if you only use Packetshaper to identify what traffic is going on then I think it is worth it. Any reseller should be able to provide one on appro.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back