Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

End Task message

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrixUSA

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2002
US
Running Windows NT 4.0 SP6

When I shut down I receive two 'end task' messages stating that the following application cannot respond to the shutdown: "OleMainThreadWndName"

Does anyone know what this application is? It does not appear in the applications running list.

Also, does anyone know how to correct the problem?

I've removed my Norton AV software and there is no 'updater.exe' in the registry. Any ideas???

Thanks,
PatrixUSA

The search function of the forum could help

----------------------------------------

Everybody has the right to be stupid -- but some people abuse the privilege. (a quote from Stalin - and I am one of the abusers, sometimes...)
Experienced in the IT-chaos since 1984...

Yes, thank you. I tried the solutions offered up by previous threads, still getting error. If anyone has any ideas beyond those already offered please advise.

Thanks.
PatrixUSA

Did you verify which programs run at startup?

(registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run - and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\same key... handle with care...)

Everybody has the right to be stupid -- but some people abuse the privilege. (a quote from Stalin - and I am one of the abusers, sometimes...)
Experienced in the IT-chaos since 1984...

There are many programs listed in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE...RUN key. I recognize most but there are some that are not familiar to me:

nwiz - "nwiz.exe/install"
NvCpIDaemon - "RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize"
BrowserWebCheck - "loadwc.exe"
POINTER - "point32.exe"
TCASUTIEEXE - "TCAUDIAG-off"

All of the others I recognize as startup programs.

Thanks for the input Sky14657.
PatrixUSA

I've now researched these keys and they all check out, although some are not necessary, they are legit.

So, where does that leave us?
PatrixUSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back