Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

End Program - mshta.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberteky

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2011
US
This happened last week to both of our W2K servers after I installed Symantec Endpoint Protection 12. I can't browse the Internet using Internet Explorer nor can I open the Control Panel unless I reboot then it works until I try to open IE. Other things such as my computer, printers, and network connections do not open either until I reboot then it works fine for a while.

When I try to reboot the machine, it gave me 3 message boxes "End Program - mshta.exe". It also takes several minutes to shut down. I even uninstalled the Symantec Endpoint and ran the CleanWipe to make sure everything is uninstalled and nothing it still does it.

Has this happened to anybody before? Please advise.

Thanks,
aj

First, did you check your event logs? What do they show? Did you contact Symantec and find out if this is a know issue with a known fix? Maybe there is a patch from them you need to download. I'm guessing it still happens after you uninstalled Symantec? Have you checked for viruses? There are known instances where mshta.exe are actually viruses mascarading as a windows process. Just some thoughts to ponder. Good luck.

Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none.
Benjamin Franklin

I recall a similar issue with being unable to load Firefox following an update. Have you tried removing IE as one of the trusted applications and adding it back in?

Definitely run something like Malwarebytes, and some rootkit revealers first.
Symantec has a poor Endpoint install for Win 2000, nothing but problems. I would would call Symantec support, tell them it has screwed up your OS. So far they have been able to undo any issue their software has caused in Win 2000 for me.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back