Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

End of Sales on G650's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeydidit

IS-IT--Management
Feb 10, 2003
US
I heard a rumor this morning that the G650's end of sale is coming up.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

I appreciate your replies.

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

sounds logic to me
More and more ip is the standard and if you need some analog then put in an analog board in a smaller gateway

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

but what will replace it??? Where is the migration path with the G650? You still need to be able to migrate from Definity to CM without re inventing everything. This must be a mistake.

I doubt it. AVAYA, since they have been bought by the VC Firms, has been looking to lower costs, and one way they have been doing it is to ellimate SKU's/Material Codes.

The G450 is a fine gateway, with redundant power and 8 slots, they have MM717 cards for 24 port digital, and MM716 cards for 24 port analog, so there is really no need for the old iron any longer. The G450 is also a much better price point, even if you have to buy new MM circuit packs, you can also use multiple G450's per site, each one gets you 8 slots.

The point is, AVAYA doesn't care about migrating customers with old/ancient hardware any longer, the writing has been on the wall for a long, long time now.

Mitch

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Yep, G650 wil leave......

Greets Peter

I guess we should have seen this coming, with the loss of the center-stage, we have seen the traditional AVAYA PBX dissolve. The drastic increase in the number of devices that can register back to the main server really points to less need for CLAN cards. I guess we'll be working on a soft PBX in no time.

Already happening on the S8800

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

CM5.2 provides Processor Ethernet(PE) and with 5.2.1 you can register AES to PE so the need for the G650 is going away. As noted above the G450 give you a much nicer price point anyway. By the time you buy a pair of G650s with redundant IPSI, MEDRPO, and CLAN resources you already are spending more then the G450 and media modules. It is just no longer cost effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back