Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

End of Life Cisco 6509

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoyer90

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2005
US
Due to the fact Cisco EOL of the 6500 series. our company will be looking to replace the eight 6509 we are currently using. honestly we could use something that will take up less rack space. any suggestions?

Check the 4500's if its cisco. If not check HP offereings which will be less expensive. Foundry , now Brocade is another offering . For cisco you really only have the 6500's, 4500's, 3560,3750, 4948's for L3 switching .

Remember when you stack the 3750's you can only have 9 switches in a stack.

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

I was unaware of that fact that the 6509s have reached EOL. However, I would be extremely suprised if the 6509-E series is chassis is also EOL. Any of the cards you have in the 6509s should work in the 6509-E series chassis as well.

Reading Cisco EOL sheets,not all 6500 equipment will be going out only selective devices.But to leave a 6509 EOL of a 3750,to me is madness.Lots of ISP and big companies will be keeping their stuff for years to come.Then also check the performance sheet against a 3750.

Regards

6509 , sup1a and Sup2's are EOL and any hybrid boxes are EOL and they are not doing any software updates on those . You either have to convert the hybrid to native or replace with sup with a Sup 720 .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back