Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Encryption: Can the NSA crack AES?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismi

Programmer
Jun 3, 2001
US
- Can the National Security Agency crack the new American Encryption Standard (AES)?
- What consumer/business encryption products (besides Steganos) have implemented AES solutions?
- What better encryption standards are there (if any)?

Thanks.

Can the National Security Agency crack the new American Encryption Standard (AES)?

It depends on how paranoid you are :)

Some people believe that since the NSA was involved with NIST in creating the specs for the future algorithm they have a backdoor. But I myself doubt this. What I think is likely is the NSA has built a machine which is able to (relatively) easily generate large prime numbers. In which case your best defense is not to attract attention. And the best way to do that is urging your friends to start encrypting their emails. The more encrypted emails, the easier it is to hide in them.

Chip H.

There is no such thing as a secure encryption algorythm... only one that is relativly secure for a stated period of time at a specific key length, etc...

As for the NSA... trust em as far as you CANT see them ;)

NSA ... that stands for No Such Agency, right ?

:)

Everyone should encrypt *everything* you dont send your bills without an envelope, why send email without one?

-John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back