Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Encrypting Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auguy

Programmer
May 1, 2004
US
I was just notified of the need to encrypt the data used in a financial application I wrote a few years ago in 6.0. I took a quick look at Cryptor, Sweet Potato Software, and Encryption File System (EFS). I'm not sure I can use EFS because I'm Not entirely sure they are using a "Real" server. Because this app is already written I'm leaning towards whole file/folder encryption rather than field by field to minimize code change. I've read a few of the posts on this forum to try and get a feel for what to use and was wondering what the current outlook on encryption is. I could recompile into 9.0 if that would help any. Does anybody have any recommendations or pitfalls to watch for? Potential costs/coe changes?

Auguy
Northwest Ohio

Auguy,

I believe Cryptor allows you to keep entire files encrypted on disk, and just decrypt them on the fly. But I only have hear-say evidence for that; I've never used it myself.

Mike

Visual FoxPro tips, advice, training, consultancy
Custom software for your business

Thanks to all for your information. Mike, that is my understanding on Cryptor too. By the way, did you ever make it to Ohio this year?

Auguy
Northwest Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back