Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Encrypted Files on replaced Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortelfan

IS-IT--Management
Sep 9, 2002
US
I have a hard drive that will no longer boot. However, it is available as a slave drive. I have replaced the drive and reloaded the operating system, programs, etc, on the new drive. The problem is the user encrypted all the files in their My Documents directory so they cannot be moved. I have taken ownership with the new administrator account and have given full permissions, but I cannot open the files or copy them to the new drive. I can copy them to a new location on the old drive, but that does no good.

Since the drive is intact, but will not boot, does anyone know a way to use the old users on the drive to gain access to the files and remove encryption so that they can be recovered and moved to the new drive?

Thanks

I'm hoping they saved the encryption key somewhere either on the hard drive or to a CD or something.... But that would have been following the instructions and way too simple, so I'm guessing they didnt. :(

No encryption key saved, but the entire hard drive is intact and working - except for the fact that it will not boot.

Why not do an in-place repair of the old hard drive and then when it is up and going decrypt the files and copy them onto the new hard drive?

regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back