Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Encrypt Files for Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrne1

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
US
I hope this is the correct forum. I need to encrypt files that I want to Email to certain users. I run XP Pro and the users run XP Home. Is there some way to encrypt the file so that the user will not have to DL any additional software?

This does more or less what you want.

I also saw a demo from Microsoft (I think it was related to forefront security), which does some thing similar. The receipient does not need any specific tool. It was done through a URL and a browser as far as I can remember...

CU
G.

But for that solution, the recipient needs to download the reader.

Used to, with Winzip (before they started charging for it) you could embed a password in the zip file. There are other applications that will do that, of course, but you would have to DL their software.

Too bad MS doesn't offer this password feature built into it's zip compression tool on XP.

Yes you need a reader, but how does that compare to a PKI infrastructure?

G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back