Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Encrypt Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

StylizIT

Programmer
Dec 4, 2003
NL
Hi all,

I have a asp.net application and I want to host it by the company I devolped it for. And is it possible to encrypt the code in an asp.net/vb.net application?
So that the code cannot be seen by others and if this is possible, please tell me how.

Thnx in advance.

You can better regret that you have done something than regret the fact you done nothing

You need to use the code-behind approach and to use an obfuscator. There are several out there - I think there are freeware ones.

Even with that, your customers may be able to reverse engineer your code to a certain extent - it will be just more difficult for them to work out what it does.

Mark

Mark [openup]

Who paid for it, and who owns the code?

If they paid for it, then there's a good chance they own it (depends on what your contract with them says and your local laws).

Encrypting the source in that case could open you up to litigation (you've basically prevented them from using their property).

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back