Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Encoding problem in everything but IE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow the page renders with the Western ISO-8859-1 encoding selected. If I go into the Character Encoding and explicitly change it to UTF-8 then it works.

Somehow your charset is not getting picked up by FF. don't know why.

It has to be explicitly set.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Have you tried putting

charset=iso-8859-6

as your charset in your meta tag??

<.

monksnake did you not read the previous posts?
The OP has a charset defined as UTF-8 which is what there OP needs for the arabic to be displayed, however FF is ignoring that and setting the charset to Western ISO- whatever.

Why its doing that is what we need to find out.

Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Oh I read it, and I posted what I did because as you stated
Somehow the page renders with the Western ISO-8859-1 encoding selected
That being the case, perhaps substituting another ISO type charset may make Firefox understand its current setting and change it.

You stating that Firefox didn't change its encoding settings when the charset = UTF-8 means nothing in the case to my respose

<.

It's odd, because I do have this inn the header:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="ar">

Which should do plenty. I had it as ISO before, and then I even had to define it in IE. This time, I re-opened the page in notepad (I normally write in DreamWeaver) and used the "save as" dialog to save it as utf-8.

I'm thinking it might be something to do with the server, because it works offline - I'm unsure, though

illustration and webdesign

I'm stumped, it appears it could be a server flaw, when serving up th page, but I have no idea why it would not work in FF but work in IE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back