Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enabling user account to send external mail??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlienZ

Technical User
Apr 17, 2002
DE
Hi all. I'm new to exchange and am using version 5.5 and was hoping that somebody can help me with what's probably a simple procedure.

Once and email account has been created, how do I make it so I can send external emails? I can create an account but when I try to send external mails, it bounces back with a message saying restrictions are in place or something along those lines.

Ta.

Have a look at the properties of your Internet Mail Service which is under Connectors to see if there are are delivery restrictions.

Andy Leates MCSE MCP+I

In Exchange Admin, go to File|New Other|Internet Mail Service. This wizard will help you set up an internet mail connector so that you can send and receive internet mail. You should probably accept the defaults.

Since you are ne to Exchange, I recommend you get a copy of Exchange Server 5.5 Unleashed, which is published by SAMS.

A few other bits of advice:

Never make a change without consulting an experienced Exchange administrator. It's very easy to break Exchange when you aren't sure what you are doing.

Make sure you are running Exchange-aware backup software. If you're not sure, ask the vendor or someone on Tek-Tips.

Once you are sure your backup is Exchange-aware, make sure circular logging is disabled. Open the properties of the server (%Organization%|%Site%|Configuration|%Server%) and select the 'Advanced' tab. The boxes in the circular logging area should be un-checked.

If your Exchange Server should stop functioning, contact an experienced Exchange person BEFORE attempting to fix it. There are numerous benign reasons for a server stopping, and many ways to cause a minor problem to become a major one.

Good luck,
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back