Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enabling UDMA66??

Status
Not open for further replies.

amuk

Technical User
Aug 2, 2002
US
I have an Athlon 550 running Windows 2000SP3 with two disk drives, one capable of ATA100 and the other capable of ATA66. Currently, Sisoft Sandra says the one is working at ATA66 and the other is at ATA33. I know of no way to corroborate this. This computer is supposedly capable of running a disk at ATA66. "Ultra DMA mode" is enabled on one disk and "DMA Mode" is enabled on the other in Device Manager.

I've been reading about "enabling" UDMA 66 in Windows 2000 with a registry hack and I'm wondering if this is a good thing to do and would my disk drives actually work faster and would I notice any increase in speed.

What I've read in the MS Knowledge base says it applies to Intel chipsets and mine is AMD.

Are the drives on same IDE cable? If not, is the one running at 33 connected with an 80 wire cable (because it will only do 33 max with an older 40 wire one).

I had downloaded and installed the AMD drivers but new drivers were loaded when I installed SP3. Now the standard dual channel drivers are dated 7-18-02 (MS) and the primary and secondary drivers are MS dated 4-24-01.

The two disk drives are on 80-wire cable.

What i'd like to know is "is there a benefit in enabling UDMA66 in WIndows 2000" and (since the MS knowledge base says their fix is for Intel chipsets and mine is an AMD Irongate) can it be done without hosing the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back