Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enabling RAS kills ----

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoofa

MIS
Oct 6, 2001
US
Greetings... I have a "simple' network. Win2k server acting as my connection to the world and an internal network. THe server is configured with 2 NICS. One for the world the other for the LAN.

When Routing and remote access is enabled on this server (for VPN), you are not able to access the internet from the internal network. What is RRAS doing here?

This is gonna sound like a silly Q, but when you set up remote access did you select the nic for your LAN or the nic that connects you to the internet?
Are you able to ras in or is nothing working?

I believe when your client connects to the VPN, the client's internal routing table gets reconfigured to route internet traffic as well as local LAN/VPN traffic through the VPN connection. Typing "route print" on a command prompt on the client will show you the problem. Because your VPN is probably not configured to do NAT, packets destined for the internet coming over the VPN connection are just discarded by the server.

I'm not the most knowledgeable about these things, but I believe a manual reconfiguration of your client routing table (you could put it in a .bat file and run the script every time you connect through the VPN) could reprioritize the routing such that internet traffic goes through the normal channels and VPN traffic goes through the local VPN LAN address. Or perhaps a reconfiguration of the server routing table (by adding static routes) may help. Finally, what will certainly work is to properly configure the server to do NAT.

I think. =)

Mel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back