Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enabling NORTON speed disk in windows XP home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have windows XP home with NORTON utilities. When I try to run Speed Disk, it tells me that:

"The Speed Disk service has been disabled. Please re-enable the service using Control Panel before running Speed Disk".

I went into control panel but just can't find the place to enable it. Any ideas?

Thanx

It might be listed as a service in "Services"

Right click My Computer icon/ Manage/ Service and Applications/ Services

Double click on anything that might refer to Norton Speed Disc to get a property page to start service. If it's there set it for "Automatic" and it will start every time you boot or set it to "Manual" and it will only start when called upon.

I don't see it there but still I had all Norton services automatic ..... could it be I didn't install it correctly. Funny thing is it does run the beginning wizard and I am able to perform other Norton functions.

It could be that it was installed incorrectly. Another obvious thing to check is that all the icons in Control Panel are visible and not hidden.

If you start uninstalling and re-installing Norton you might end up in a bigger mess than you are now. This Speed Disk is a Defragmenter of the hard drive, you can read about it here then make a decision on it.

Then check out the support site at Norton.

Don't. Speed disk and XP just don't mix Take control of your life, not someone else's

You can unintall and reinstall,make sure you go to the symantic site( re, linney's thread)and download there File
removal tool or utility,to desktop or my documents

uninstall all Norton products
reboot
run the file removal tool,you may have to do this two or three times. depends what it finds.
reboot
run the tool again,it will tell you it is ok to install
Norton again.
install Norton
reboot
Don't forget to install all the upgrades.

You should be ok.
Dave
bbmdave@hotmail.com

Thanx for all your suggestions and Linney for the links.

I guess I will just not use speeddisk and stick to Disk Defragmentation and maybe check out other vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back