Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enabling Hard Drive After Disabling It

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamalSharatan

Technical User
Jun 19, 2007
US
I did a search on this, and I found no relevant results, so I hope you can help me.

On Windows Vista, I went to Device Manager, went to the properties of my slave drive (EIDE) and clicked on disable. Naturally, the drive disappeared from "My Computer". How do I enable back the HDD since it doesn't appear on Device Manager? Thanks.

Have a look in Disk Management - right-click My Computer and select 'Manage' then choose the 'Disk Management' item.

That's how you do it on XP anyway, I think Vista is similar.

Nelviticus

Yes, Disk management works exactly the same in Vista as XP, best I can tell. There may be some more advanced options, but I've yet to notice any difference to date.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

And if you can't seem to fix your issue via Computer Management, there's an application that might take care of it for you. It's the "tweakui" for Vista, sort of, but it's by a 3rd party. It's TweakVI.

--

Have you looked in device manager and see if its listed under Hard Drives and if so enable it there?

Thanks all. Unfortunately, nothing worked. I had to take the drive out and connect it using a USB to SATA/EIDE cable.

Sounds like possibly the drive controller may have been disabled rather than the drive itself. So I'm guessing you did so under device manager, but disabled the actual controller rather than just the individual drive.

--

Did you check to see if it was visible in the Bios?

ipMonitor & Kiwi Syslog Server 9 - Online Representative operating on behalf of SolarWinds, LLC

Yeah, it was visible on the bios, but I couldn't boot into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back