Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enabling cookies in CF 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpvic03

Technical User
Aug 2, 2006
i am trying to use cookies to remember a user after they log in, but my colffusion server won't send me my own cookies. I made a test code to make sure. this is it:

1st page:

<cfcookie name="test" value="Accepts_cookies">
<cflocation url="test2.cfm">

2nd page (named test2.cfm):

<cfif IsDefined(Cookie.test)> <cfif Cookie.test eq "Accepts_cookies">
<cfoutput> User Accepts Cookies</cfoutput>
<cfelse>
<cfoutput> User Doesn't Accept Cookies</cfoutput>
</cfif>
<cfelse>
<cfoutput>User Doesn't Accept Cookies</cfoutput>
</cfif>

And it tells me my browser doesn't accept cookies, and i can't find the cookie in the cookie folder. What is wrong?

sorry, forgot to mention that they are enabled already. thats whats confusing me

Is your cfapplication variable setClientCookies set to No? Check in your relevant Application.cfm file

well at first i had no application file, but now i made one and made setClientCookies = "yes", and it still doesn't work. any ideas?

Code:
<cflocation url="test2.cfm">

you cannot set a cookie on the same page as a server side re-direct. You should use javascript to do the move to test2.cfm, not cflocation.

=========================================
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

ok, here's my new code using javascript:

<html>
<body onload="timer=setTimeout('move()',1)">
<script language="JavaScript">
var time = null
function move() {
window.location = 'test2.cfm'
}
</script>
</body>
</html>

and it still isn't giving me a cookie! I'm pretty sure the re-direct isn't the root of the problem, because i tried taking the redirect out, so it was just:

then, i manually typed in the address for test2.cfm and it still doesn't detect it. what is wrong??

and i just read that the cfcookie/cflocation issue has been resolved since cfmx, whaddyaknow.

well then i would suggest finding out if the server is not sending the cookie, or your browser is not accepting it (more likely).

i like to use the liveHttpHeaders plugin for firefox to watch the header information to see what cookies are being sent. If you see a cookie in the headers of the first page then the server is doing it's job and you know something is up with your machine.

(liveHttpHeaders)

which brings up another question, have you simply tried this from another computer to see if the cookie is picked up?

alright, well the header told me the cookie was being sent, so i changed the code on the second page (test2.cfm) to:
<cfoutput> #cookie.test# <cfoutput>

and it gave me the correct value, so there must be something weird with using the isDefined() function with cookie variable... i dk... thanks for all of your help!

now that i look at it i think the problem was this

<cfif IsDefined(Cookie.test)>

should be

<cfif IsDefined("Cookie.test")>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back