Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enable Shift ByPass Remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

cani

MIS
May 10, 2002
BM
I locked myself out of the design view of my database, and need to be able to get back With my limited Access Project knowledge, I believe my options are (1) bypass startup options to turn on full menus so I can get to the design view or (2)create another database and import the forms and reports.

Unforturnately, shift bypass is disabled (It is enabled by a hidden button that can only be accessed by making it visible in design view) and I have given the VBE a password, and don't know how to supply the password remotely. In brief, I'm stuck.

Does anyone know how to either enable shift bypass remotely or supply and disable a VBE password remotely? Or, I'll try anything that will allow me to get to the design view of my Access Project.

Smuckers (in this forum) provided the code below to change startup properties. This might work if the code was modified so that it refers to a remote database (the remote database being the one where I need to get to database design view). I don't know what needs to be changed to accomplish this objective.

Public Sub SetADPAppTitle()
Dim dbs As CurrentProject
Dim prp As ADODB.Property
Dim strTitle As String

Const INVALID_PROPERTY_REFERENCE As Integer = 2455

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

Set dbs = Application.CurrentProject
strTitle = "Setting *.ADP Startup Options"

'Try to set the property, if it fails, the property does not exist.
dbs.Properties("AppTitle") = strTitle

' *** Here is one of the start up properties ***
dbs.Properties("StartupShowDBWindow") = False

'Refresh the title bar to reflect the change.
Application.RefreshTitleBar

ExitLine:
Set dbs = Nothing
Set prp = Nothing
Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:
If Err.Number = INVALID_PROPERTY_REFERENCE Then
' Create the new property.
dbs.Properties.Add "AppTitle", strTitle
Resume Next
Else
Resume ExitLine
End If
End Sub
' *****************************************

I still don't know how to do the above, but I did resolve my problem.

If Access is closed while any form control's properies box is open then the next time Access is opened (even if another database) the properties box for a control that has focus will open.

I opened the properties box of a form control in another database. Closed that database with the properties box open. I then opened the database where I was locked out of database design. I used an event property and chose code builder to supply the password to the VBE.

Upon doing that, I entered code that enabled the shiftbypass when the database opened again.

I still wouldn't mind knowing how to use code in case I create a more difficult situation for my self.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back