Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enable remote control of a Windows XP workstation and 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

tforr

Programmer
Aug 14, 2003
GB
Hi am I right in think that in order to enable remote access on an xp workstation, I would right click on my computer, select properties followed by the Remote tab. Now ensure that the "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" is enabled.

With regards to my 2000 server. Do I just enable routing a remote access within Administrative tools. Once this is done will routing and remote access start is services.

What are the licensing implications?

Hope you can help!

Thanks,

Tom

I prefer VNC a free download put on all workstations, the problem with remote administration is it usually shows you a desktop but not the desktop of the user on the workstation.

Using VNC you can see what's going on, what error messages etc.

In Server 2003 you can now use the mstsc console option to actually see the console of the server but whatever.

as far as licensing using the remote admin I think the current standard is that it will allow 2 connections but both are administrator.

Jeff

Yes, you are correct about the remote access settings on the xp workstation.

Regarding the 2000 server, you must have Terminal Services running (I think it is by default), and only 2 concurrent connections are allowed, unless you have purchased more CALs.

-PuterLuver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back