Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enable password lost 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2001
US
We are a Nortel shop, but we were recently given a Cisco 3600 router that our R&D department purchased and they no longer need it. They ahven't used it in so long they can't remember the enable password. Is there anyway to reset this thing back to the factory settings, and if so, will it reset the enable password?

Also, any good places you can point me to learn how to configure the Cisco OS? I've messed with one before and I have a 675 at home... they are all command line compared to the Nortel Site Manager GUI.

Thanks

go to cisco.com then find the password recovery procedure

Went to google and found it... thanks.

1. Connect a computer to the router’s Console port using the Console cable that came with the Cisco router
2. Turn the router off using the power switch and turn it back on
3. Once text starts popping up on the screen, send the break command CTRL +BREAK (sometimes it is CTRL +X)
4. This will abort the boot and present you with a common 1> prompt
5. From the new prompt you need to change the configuration register using the following command: confreg 0x2142
6. For older Cisco router models, you may have to enter o/r 0x2142
7. Now you need to recycle the router with the "reset" command
8. If you used the o/r command then reset the router with the I command
9. Once the router finishes restarting you will find that there are no passwords to deal with, so you can enter enabled mode carte blanche
10. Once in enabled mode enter this: copy start run. This will copy the startup config to the running config
11. Now, go into configuration mode with the config t command
12. Once there enter the new password with the enable secret password command (i.e. enable secret Bob11)
13. Exit config mode and enter the command copy run start to copy the new configuration to ram
14. Turn the router off using the power switch and turn it back on
15. Once text starts popping up on the screen, send the break command CTRL +BREAK (sometimes it is CTRL +X)
16. This will abort the boot and present you with a common 1> prompt
17. Now set the configuration register back to normal with this command: confreg 0x2102
18. Now you need to recycle the router with the "reset" command
19. Now it is time to reload your router
20. Once the router is back up you need to configure all of your interfaces with the no shutdown command or they will not work.

Hey guys what about clicking on the FAQ's here in the forum. There is a nice password recovery FAQ setup by one of our memebers that will work for most all Cisco Equipment, also some basic config standards for routers.

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Wow, you learn something everyday. I;ve been using the tt forums for about a year now and never knew there was a FAQ. I guess I should look a little closer.

Thanks

No problem, there are times where I post problems but 5 minutes later find a solution. Sometimes it's not a soltuion that helps but the point in the right direction.

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back