Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enable Macros 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcb105

Technical User
Apr 25, 2007
US
Hi All,

I am very close to 'launching' a new excel spreadsheet that multiple people will be using. When I have launched spreadsheets before that had macors in them almost all of my support questions are from people that do not enable the macros, therefore the macros don't work. Is there a way besides turning off the security to enable the macros each and every time without have the user click enable macros each time they open the workbook? I was thinking that I could put a digital signature in the macro that says the Macro is OK to run. I can setup that rule on each machine once then I won't have all of the support questions. I have looked online and could not find a way to do this. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks in advance. This message board has really helped me get all of the tech detaile ironed out.

-Paul

You're going to have to digitally sign your macro; with that process done correctly your users will not see the "Disable/Enable" option box - the macro will just load and run.

There is a lot of information on this in the Excel help file. Once in the code window click on Help and type macro security. Click on Security Notes for Microsoft Office Solution Developers (Office) for detailed instructions.

Hope this helps!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A committee is a life form with six or more legs and no brain." -- L. Long

pcb105,

It is common courtesy on this site to, at the very least, let folks know that you have read their posts when they attempt to assist you. Even if their offerings don't do what you want/need, they have taken their time trying to help. Having seen no reply to my suggestion I checked your Profile and note that you did in fact sign on after my reply was posted; there is no doubt that you read it. I also noted that others have tried to assist you in the past, and their help has also gone unacknowledged.

If you simply take people's help and run with it, without bothering to let them know that you have even read what they have offered, in a short time you're going to find that your posts are going to sit here forever with no replies of any kind.

Take this as a word to the wise ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the heck????? I was responding to Walker's post (and by extension his(?) others which also reflect the spirit of Tek-Tips). I was going to give him a star for his comments, as I thought they were very well expressed. Someone beat me to it. I looked at his stats, and noticed the ratio of started threads to replies. This indicates someone who responds to others, not just themself. Which is good.

However, I do not deserve a star. Thanks, but ummmm....

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Hi All,

I am sorry that I have not responded to the answers that people have given me. I have read the comments, but have not had a chance to try them out. I was sent to Germany on company business and just got back from being out sick. I have been checking my email on a smart phone, so I did not take the time to respond. Regarding the very first post I did on this site. I incorrectly did not respond that I tried out the suggestions and they worked. I however did click Thank username for this valuable post. I wish WalkerEvans would have responded with a private message and not 'blast me' on the post. I meant no disrespect.

Sorry about this,

-Paul

I wish WalkerEvans would have responded with a private message
How was he supposed to do that?

That being said, please do not feel you were being "blasted". It may smart a little, but he was not being really unkind. Hopefully, the sting will go away, and you will not only acknowledge responses to your post...but respond to others in order to try and help THEM.

That is what this place is about. Too many people only pay attention to their own threads. What walker was (I think) trying to get across is that if everyone just did their own thing, this place would collapse. It is the people who come in here not trying to get answers...but GIVE answers, who make it a great site. Would you care to join us?

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Gerry: Thanks for the vote supporting my efforts. It means a lot coming from you.

pcb105: I'm sorry you took my post as a "blast" rather than a helpful hint. There was, of course, no way that I could have been aware of your personal situation (special assignment, sick, etc.) and no way at all that I could have delivered a personal message other than through this forum. If it is of any consolation, on the rare occaisions when I HAVE blasted someone (never on this site)(so far) there was no mistaking my meaning. I tend to use an acid when writing those that actually causes blisters. Your faux pas did not raise to that level, by several degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back