Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

enable internet for admin only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvgirl64

MIS
Aug 27, 2002
US
I am configuring a pc to go to one of our remote sites. I want only the local administrator acct to be able to access the internet. I have set security as such on the iexplore.exe file, and that works fine to prevent other users launching IE from the desktop. HOwever, if that user goes into My Network Places and types in the address line, poof, Internet!
This pc is part of the domain and will have users logged into the domain, but I only want someone logged on with the local administrator acct to be able to access the net.
Anyone know how to do this?

You can set up a GPO that will block everyone from the internet except the Admin account. Just create it in a MMC snapin and apply it to the appropriate users or groups.

Okay, I will try that - I just want to do it for certain computers though. I can put them in an OU and apply to that OU?
Also, I have been wanting to experiment with group policy but have been told since all my domain controllers are here at corporate and I have none at my remote sites, that I will run into trouble trying to apply those policies. Anyone have feedback on that?

You are right about having some adverse reactions. Be sure you know all the security settings that are in place before you change anything. It will help you greatly to have that documented. You can set the GPO for computers or users. You will have to filter if you use a group. You'll get it! Let me know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back