Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

enable DMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arden

Instructor
Aug 24, 2001
CA
I have read lots of information on how to enable DMA, however, one article stated that the registry key had to be changed in order to enable it.

Can anyone clear this up? Does one have to go into the registry and change the key:
this is the text from the article......
"Ok, you now think DMA is enabled? Wrong...try again.
You now need to enable DMA in the registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CURRENTCONTROLSET > CONTROL > CLASS > {4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
There may be a few subdirectories called 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003
In each of them (it does not matter how many you have as long as it is in all of them) add a new DWORD value.
Call it EnableUDMA66
Give it a decimal value of 1 to enable DMA. Reboot to see changes.
Note that you may already have this registry entry, depending on certain chipset drivers. Whatever the case, it's worth checking to see that it's there.

I think what the author said was a bit misleading myself. You don't have to go into the registry to enable DMA, but sometimes doing it from Device Manager and rebooting doesn't work. In that case, editing the registry may be necessary. It depends on the chipset drivers that are installed, if there are any.

If you're running an Intel chipset (less than 3 years old), there's a good chance that the "Application Accelerator" utility (a.k.a. "Storage Driver") from Intel is compatible with your chipset and able to read the status of your IDE controller. That will tell you whether DMA is truly enabled. It's available from their site.

When I was working with DMA, I never had to go into the registry. I have an Intel 815 chipset, and Intel's Application Accelerator always reported that my devices were using DMA.

Of course, the information you found only applies to Win95/98. XP and 2000 handle DMA differently... ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back