Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Emulators and vi 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BikerGal

Programmer
Jul 12, 2002
GB
I am using an emulator to update scripts using vi on a unix server but it is very time consuming. I am not great with vi but I seem to be having more problems when I am not on the linux/unix machine directly. As the vi commands I issue seem to do different things so I have to keep exiting and going back in again. So as not to use work. Is this just me or is it an usual problem.

thanks!

First guess, make sure your TERM variable matches the terminal emulator type you are using (vt100 and so on)

This may just be vi. vi is a modal editor, meaning you put it into different modes and each mode works differently. Also meaning that vi sucks!

I would recommend getting emacs if you can. You'll never go back to vi once you learn it.

Also, Chapter11 is right. If your TERM is set wrong, NO editor will work correctly.

Hope this helps.

in telnet (or xterm) do.
export TERM=vt220 (if in ksh) or
setenv TERM vt220
ensure that the emulator window size (rows) is same as stty settings.
To change do - stty rows 24

What type of emulator do you use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back