Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Empty tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreFeo

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
ES
Hi,

In TSM Server I've got a tape that is not returning to scratch.

It shows associated to a stgpool, volume status is Empty, access is read/write, pct utilized 0% and Scratch Volume? is set to yes. The volume is inside the library.

I've tried with audit volume VOL fix=yes, but it tells me "Volume VOL contains no data", and it remains in the stgpool.

Doing a query content on this volume also tells "No match found using this criteria".

In the stgpool, the delay period for volume reuse is 0 days, so it should return to scratch.

How can I make this volume return to scratch?

Thanks

I've been looking for some info, and it seems that doing a move media could solve the problem.

I don't know what move media command does, and how should I use it?

Does anybody knows about using move media to solve this situation?

Thanks

There is a setting that controls reuse date, Check the storage pool.

q stg <stgpoolname> f=d

and look for:

"Delay Period for Volume Reuse: x day(s)"

It could be that causing your issue.

You can do a move, but if it is empty it won't really do anything.

Try "move media <volume name> stgpool=<same stgpool>

My bet is that its the REUSE DELAY...

HTH

Oh.. sorry.. just read your last part about the reuse... Its friday... forgive me.

OH!! Check the maxscratch setting on the stgpool... maybe you hit the maximum?

Well, don't know what happened, but the empty tape has returned to scratch without doing anything more
It's strange, because the reuse delay was set to 0, and maxscratch was not reached (anyway, don't know how maxscratch could affect in this situation).

Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back