Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Empty Space in sections with subreports - Crystal 10 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolCook

IS-IT--Management
Mar 7, 2003
US
Hi:

Is there any way to minimize/eliminate the vertical white space taken up by subreports that do nothing but pass variables? I have reduced the fonts and the size of the subreports to the absolute minimum but still get white space. Underlay doesn't seem to help either. If you set the size to zero, the subreport doesn't print at all so the variables don't get passed.

Thanks in advance!

You can suppress all sections within the subreport, and also go to format subreport->subreport tab->suppress blank subreport, and then in the main report go to the section containing the subreport and check "suppress blank section".

-LB

Crystal does not perceive this as a 'blank' - plus if the report is actually suppressed, the passed variables do not calculate. I think you are referring to "Suppress Printing if No Records" option on the subreport, yes?

Wow - just found the Supress Blank Subreport and that works and STILL passes the variables! THANKS!!!

No, actually, you CAN suppress every section WITHIN the subreport (NOT the subreport itself)and the variable will still pass. You cannot suppress the section the sub is in either, but you CAN use "suppress blank section", and if the sub has all sections suppressed, it will appear blank. You should also format the subreport as noted to "suppress blank subreport".

-LB

I hide all sections in the sub (not suppress) then in the main I shrink the height of the sub as small as it can go - I end up with less then a 1/8" white section (if they see that then they are too picky !)
if it does not shrink then go back and make sure every section is hidden
Gerrit Spieker

I did hide the sections in the sub except the section that has the sub in it, font size 1, and as small as I could make the space but I still have white space.

Problem is that the sub is in Detail a as a fetch and store.
So what I have done is turn font white now I have all white space. Where there are no supressed records this is great... where there are supressed records the space is larger than 1/8" ( imagine 1/8 " times 5 or 6 records). Does anyone have any ideas or tricks?
Thanks for all input!

Hide the detail section, drill-down OK and then in the main report, for the subreport in question, format subreport-(right-click on the subreport)>subreport tab->suppress blank subreport - it will still pass the variables.

I disagree. If you suppress OR hide the section containing the sub, the shared variable will not be shared.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back