Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjr9999

Programmer
Apr 7, 2001
US
I know I've posted a lot of posts like this, but please, someone enlighten me here. I've recently noticed that i'm listed as one of the top experts in 3 forums (this one, C, and C++: Borland (Inprise)). As I look around, I see that A lot of the people I'm answering questions for are software engineers, or at least in some technical (and probably decent paying) possition. I work as a customer service rep for a company called Baker & Taylor makeing about 25k a year....I understand that I have no degrees, and only 2 years of formal software engineering experience, but where did I go wrong? Why am I not able to get into a career I really want? I mean, obviously I enjoy programming, otherwise my selftaught knowledge would never have extended this far. I have experience (2 years experience at 20 years old is pretty good in my book). I'm young, hard working, learn EXTREAMLY fast. Yet I'm not even given a second look. Now I know you all are going to recomend I go to school..I honestly don't have the time, or the money (I don't qualify for any grants, unless you count free books, and I have car payments, credit cards, rent, food, etc.). Does anyone out there have a realistic recomendation short of me creating my own software company or marketing a design to a publisher (Which by the way I'm very close to doing), I mean, I plan to do these things eventually, but right now I just want to get out there and be involved in what I love...programming and designing software. Ok...done venting now...Feel free to poke, prod, and critisize ;).
Rob
"Programming is like art...It makes me feel like chopping my ear off."

- Currently down

Rob,

I am 42, I have been programming for 20+ years and own my own (very small) software company. I have 2 year sof formal education in computer science. Contact me at mwrobbins@charter.net as I would prefer not to have this conversation over an open forum.

Mike R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back