Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EMI Measurement 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamtnman

Technical User
Sep 5, 2002
US
We have a new location that the properties folks decided to put the server cabinet/IT closet on the direct opposite side of the wall from where the electrical service and meterbase is located. I have suggested they move it due to the possiblity of EMI interfernce.I know the standards recommend 6ft but this is an existing space and they say it will be too costly to remodel and/or move the cabinet unless I can prove that emi will be a factor.the space is barely over 3ft wide just big enough for cabinet fit in with maybe and inch or two on either side.
Is there a way to measure EMI and know at what level the signal may interfere with our data cabling and cause problems with our network as a whole. If I can get a measement level then I can atleast compare cost of moving versus using shielded cable.

T.R.
RCDD

there may not be any stupid questions
but their is a bunch of inquizative idiots
(myself included at times)

great suggestion ironhorse17 and great call out TR.

Facilities versus an RCDD on a network related issue. Classic bean counter $direction. Spend thousands on servers, routers and computers for very high paid people and install on the cheap.

EMI problem diagnosis is a bear. Could go into the $thousands.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
Director
BidQwik.com
ProfitDeveloper.com

"Never settle for a job well done...always look for cost cutting measures

Just to clarify the room arrangement, server cabinet is in the same room as the electrical service equipment and panel boards, or in an adjacent room on back-to-back walls?

There are NEC requirements with regard to working space and height measurements for electrical service cabinet. You might want to check Article 110, see 110.26 sections for 2011 revisions as to whether space requirements are being met for clearances. This may provide the needed support for your wanting to put the server cabinet elsewhere, since AHJs don't like space encroachments on electrical equipment...

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.