Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Emetro tel UCX how to register a SIP phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

greghawaii50

Programmer
Oct 29, 2012
US
i cannot figure out from the documentation provided by Emetrotel, how to set up and register a Sip phone any step by step instuctions would be helpful.
Thanks, kokopelli

The simplified version would be:

PBX side - log in, click on PBX tab and Generic SIP device. Enter extension number, name and a strong password (secret tab) plus any other option you might want to add for the device and then click submit and then reload.

Phone side - Most phones can be configured via a built in web page but each phone is specific to it's brand (you should let us know what brand phone you have), but the basic steps would be to find the IP address of the set and using a browser log into the web GUI (most require a username and password so Google that info). Within this GUI you should find a tab to configure the SIP extension. In this section you would enter the extension number in any section that asks for display name, user ID, auth ID, or label.. and where you find a setting for proxy, server, SIP server or anything similar enter the IP address of your e-metro system (phone should be on same network as server). And lastly you need to enter the password and then save and reboot.

The phone should register with the server and you should have an active set.

Hello, i am having problems with 1 way audio, ucx20 phone is a Yealink Sip t38g remote phone plugged into my network,, that is registered to the system and i can call another extension at the site, internally, but no two way audio, they pick up i can hear them they cant hear me. THe customer has a Comcast provider, and their own internal Linksys router... Suggestions were that it is double natted etc. Any other help appreciated thanks.

Did you set your LAN and external IP address info under the SIP settings heading? Got caught on that one myself.......twice!

Thanks to all got the phone registered no problem, still having one way audio issues though, on any remote phone.

so combination of problems, mostly resolved, customer has a dynamic Ip, and was double nat'd. Works now thanks for the help! happy holidays!

so combination of problems, mostly resolved, customer has a dynamic Ip, and was double nat'd. Works now thanks for the help! happy holidays!

Hi Greg!

First, make sure that you have your router configured to forward UDP ports used by UCx for media streams (by default 10000 to 13999) to the IP address of your UCx system.
Take a peek at the end of the following page in the E-MetroTel documentation:
The information about media ports is valid (and needed) for both remote Nortel phones as well as remote SIP phones. For remote SIP phones, you should probably add the SIP signaling port (5060 by default) to your router forwarding table.

Next, make sure that you set the following values on the top of the SIP Settings page:
NAT = yes
IP Configuration = Static IP
External IP = <WAN IP address assigned to your router by your ISP>
Local Networks = local subnet to which the UCx system belongs (if you use the default subnet, the fields should be 192.168.1.0 and 255.255.255.0)

Now, a word of caution - if you open the SIP signaling port on your router, make sure:
1. That you use strong password for all your SIP extensions
2. That you have the Allow SIP Guest option on the SIP Settings page set to NO
3. That you have the Allow Anonymous Inbound SIP Calls on the General Settings page set to NO
The reason is that the default SIP port 5060 is attacked by hackers all the time. Personally, I change the SIP port used by UCx to a non-default value (you could use for example 5090 or something like that) - the probability that hackers would test various ports looking for a moved SIP port is pretty low. In other words, you'll see hundreds of attempts to get in using the port 5060 each day - you are not likely to see any on a non-default port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back