Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Emergency Phone In An Elevator

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimHilton

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2009
CA
Hey all, hope everyone had a great labor day long weekend!!

We had an incident at the shop where the elevator got stuck about 1 foot where it would have lined up with the landing. Thus trapping an employee

We called the elevator co and they were able to drop the car and get Kim out, but that lead to ask the tech, should the elevator have a phone in it?

Turns out if the elevator is after hours were a person could be trapped in one, the "code" says it has to have one.

So from a telco perspective, is it "legal" to hook the phone up to the PBX (it has generator power), or do it have to be a regular POTS line?

Thanks!!

Jim

When you ask "is it legal to..." tells me you should be directing your question to a lawyer. I wouldn't trust us techies with such things.

Dry Aquaman

I should have re-worded that to "in BC is it required by code to have an emergency phone"....

I'm totally for it, I just need some ammo to show the brass that this has to be done.

Please do not take what I say as being legal or to code for your jurisdiction.

The usual main requirement for an elevator phone is that there be a live answer point 24/7. For a hotel, that may mean the front desk that is always manned. For another company, it might mean some kind of answering service. Another may be a security or property management service within the building.

If you did not take enough time to get it right the first time...

What makes you think that you have time to fix it?

I have been told both ways...
The telephone system - if it's on a battery back up is fine, so long as there is someone that answers the call at all times. Then you can hotline the caller to the front desk with the name of the elevator.

Another told me that it needs to be a POTS line, one that has the power coming from a Telco. Then the elevator technicians need to input the phone number in to their auto dialer.

Some of my hotels have the AA answering all calls... therefore you need to have DTMF tones to point you to the correct direction. Most elevator phones do not have a keypad, just a button to push.

I've also seen it done with both an extension and POTS line.
My preference is ONLY to use POTS lines. Why? Pure CYA. Because if something happens, the PBX can't be blamed and I sleep better.

Dry Aquaman

ynotphone said:
Some of my hotels have the AA answering all calls...
Yeah, found that one, fixed it last week.

The building code is different from territory to territory. It is different for Passenger elevators and for Freight Elevators. The only way you can be sure is to look up the local building codes. Lawyers will not have this info. It is not a legal issue, it is a building code issue. Lawyers only get involved when somehing goes wrong, and then they look it up.

The info should be online with your local government office. Ynot is on the island with you maybe you can work together.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Hey thanks kwb, I googled the heck for the building code but I think I will have to contact the gov *groan*. Heya Ynot, didn't know you were an islander. We called some place and they quoted 3 grand. Do you do phone stuff? I'm over at Monday Mag, give me a call if you want.

Jim ext 742

My work transferred me, and I arrived in Victoria late August.
I called the BC Safety Authority for Elevator facts, but no one returned my phone call yet.

Definately I'll look you up.

Ok cool, I'll get on the blower too and see if I can get some info on this.

Thanks!!

Jim

I called the BC Saftey Authority again... and talked to their Senior Inspector and posed your question of the elevator phone being on a POTs or PBX line.

All that was stated - there has to be 2 way communication between the elevator and a manned answer station/ service.

This information is found in the BC Standard Code book - section 227 subsection: 1 to 11

I like dryaquaman's response; but at the same time if money is an issue and you have spare analog ports on the PBX.... it's up to your discretion.

Hi Ynot, good talking with you on Friday. Wow, the gov actually gave you useful information, I'm impressed.

I have to admit that the elevator getting stuck was unusual, this was the first time it had got jammed.

But basing on the "4 floors" its apparent we need that link.

I'll be calling our alarm co, montgomery kone to see if they offer remote voice service.

As we are a 9-5 building I cannot send to reception.

Thanks again for the info, I'll pass it on to the powers that be. And thank you too kwb!!

Jim

Ok, this finally went to our "safety comity" and they claim that our building/elevator is grand fathered.

What they chose to do was advise (not post warnings or indications) employees that if they are concerned about getting stuck in the elevator after hours to either;

A: don't use the elevator, use the stairs
B: Make sure you have a cel phone.

This IMHO is buffalo cookies. No where did they post the our alarm companies phone number or anyone people on the alarm call list.

I am going to re-submit the "safety hazard" and demand they;

A: Post in writing the grand father clause
B: In the elevator car all numbers to ensure someone can get them out.

I know this is a money thing, I am not impressed that the company thinks they can dodge BCBC Code, Fire Code and the BCSA.

There are answering services on the market. For low usage, they charge per call, so if nothing happens, you pay nothing. Expect a couple of calls here and there. Give them an elevator maintenance contact, so they can reach someone in case of issues with elevators in "intellegent" way. Connect the line to your PBX, so you will have no recurring cost for the line. It is always nice to have an "escape" button in any technology :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back