Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EMC Time Finder question (symmir)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondebbs

MIS
Dec 28, 2005
US
Hello,

I'm trying to get familiar with our new EMC DMX that is part of our AIX 5.2 environment. In our test environment I am trying to learn and understand the EMC DMX product. With EMC's TimeFinder commands, I have established a mirror of a standard device to a Business Continuity Device (bcv). The standard device contains a complete AIX volume group (symtestvg) with one Logical Volume and one File System (/sysmtest). This same structure should exist on the bcv volume.

At this point I would like to "mount" the file system on the bcv and verify that it has the correct data. I'm not sure how to do that. Do I need to use importvg to import the volume group from the bcv (hdiskpower10)? I don't think this will work since the origional symtestvg already exists on this box. Can I import it with a different name (symtestvg2) and then somehow change the name of the bcv file system (/symtest2)?

Any help would be appreciated.

actually, this is an AIX questions rather than symmetrix. It does not matter ehat storage you have while you can do clones of the production volumes.

you should import and mount the VG in a secundary AIX server (highly recommended). but if you know some way to change the ID of the disk, then you should be able to import the VG and then mount it wherever you want.

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

The command recreatevg let me recrate the Volume Group with a new name it also renamed the file system. Now I can mount both file systems on the same AIX box.

As you use the AIX within the EMC Storage environment, you will find there are critical patches, if you use Power Path - ensure you find/load the "fastfail" patch - it has brought down systems in my environment -

let me know if you need script -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back