Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EMC Symmetrix VS Clariion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcat

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2003
US
I currently have an EMC symmetrix and and EMC clariion, models don't matter, my question is this, What technical criteria should i use to determine when to put my application on sym disk and when to use clariion disk. I've talked to many people who have both and everyone seems to have a different opinion.
Cost is not a factor for this question.

We have a 2TB Clariion and have since added two older Syms (great price at 6TB each). While the Clariion is by far more user friendly with the GUI Navisphere software, I think the Symm performs better; and this is with the older 47 GB drives. Our Clariion is currently switched and dual pathed. The Sym currently is not, and it will be quite expensive to duplicate the redundancy that we have with the Clariion.
Don't forget that the Syms were primarlily designed for the Big iron (mainframes and AS400s) and are used to taking oodles of transactions all day long.
I think that my recommendation would need to be based upon what the intended use is.

Al
atc-computing@comcast.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back