Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EMC Symmetrix question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pczanwar

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 2004
US
Hi,
I have in my setup HP Servers and EMC 8430 array. EMC array is setup like the following.
1. It is connected to one server through Fibre Channel card where it's disks are used mostly.
2. It is also connected to two SAN switches which is not been used.
3. It is connected to compaq windows 2000 workstation where software related to EMC is installed. Here the password to open this tool is not known.

On the main server where most of EMC disks are used, I want to use more free disks which EMC has. Rest of the things are of no use. I know that it has 2free disks, which I am not able to claim on server. And also how to build new BIN file for this.

On my HP server I have inq command, the disks which it shows are all used one.

Please reply as this is of important nature. I appreciate members knowledge and time they devote to this forum.

Thanks and best regards
Prashant

I don't understand.. you have 3 channels used? 2 for SAN and 1 for direct attach? or you have 2 HBAs connected to the SAN but only a portion of volumes are assigned to the HP?

are you sure you have 2 disk drives unused? or are they just no assigned?

what do you want?

Hi,

Okay here it goes: EMC has synbolised the connection as below:

FA12aA - Brocade Switch (16 Port) - A5158A (HP Server 1)
|
- A5158A (HP Server 2)

- This is not being actively used. I would say there was a plan for this which was not implemented. So at this connection no disks are allocated.

FA5aA - Brocade Switch - A5158A (HP Server 1)
|
- A5158A (HP Server 2)

This is also not in use as far as I know. I mean no disks are allocated to these servers through this connection.

FA13aA ---- A5158A (HP server 3)
FA4aA ---- A5158A (HP server 3)

FA4bA -- Compaq.

EMC array has 4GB cache.

36 GB x 9 ( Mirror disk)
72GB x 2 (MIrror) --------------These are suppose to be free. I am not sure if these are not assigned at all, but could be so.

I want to attach these two disks which are left assigned to HP Server 3.

I dont have any Idea how to do it? How to probe them on server side and then how to build Bin file which usually EMC uses for config. Please reply.
Let me know if any more information is required.

Thanks
Prashant

ok, good explanation.

I guess you have all devices assigned, some of them to FAs 12A and 5A and others to FAs 13A, 4A and 4B.

You must edit the bin file in order to reassign all dec from 12A/5A to 4A/13A.

what microcode are you running?

Cheers.

Hi,
How to edit the bin file? And how did you figure out that all devices are assigned? How to find microcode revision?
Please reply
Thanks and regards
Prashant

does the symm have the laptop in it?

if so, open it... there should be the microcode running... you will see the microcode version in it...

I have opened the LAPTOP. but the scree seems to be hung or so. Nothing is happening as I click on screes. Its not showing anything. Is any other way I can do it.

Thanks and rgdz
Prashant

nop, if you don't have access to ECC, that's the only way. did you reset it? you could try with another laptop, install some microcode just to issue some commands in inlines (microcode option).

Do you have some support/maintenance contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back