Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

emc symmetrix for personal use....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbfounder

Programmer
Feb 12, 2004
US
Hi, sorry if you saw this post before, I put it in a different thread and someone suggested I start my own thread, so here I am.

I am a bonafide novice when it comes to storage arrays, but I am in need of a lot of storage and I find the EMC Symmetrix a very intriguing proposition, especially since you can find them so cheap on ebay. Basically my lack of knowledge causes quite a bit of fear because it is a lot of money to spend. If I were to buy one of these arrays (Symmetrix 3830, 5700, or 8430 to be exact) are there other costs that I need to worry about when mounting to a regular linux server (besides fiber card or other interface card)? Do I need to buy storage management
software, or is that a nice-to-have? any insight anyone can give would be tremendously helpful, I am just a lowly programmer trying to start a search engine (all by myself) and I need a TON of space ultra-cheap. thanks!

I responded to your question in the another thread, but as conclusion... this is not affordable for you.

Sorry.

this is in response to Chacalinc's response seen here:
thanks for your help, I will try to stay away from this solution, but I can't promise anything because my impulses to buy computer equipment are sometimes overwhelming. I already have 3 scsi-to-ide disk arrays (about 2 terabytes worth) as I thought this was the cheapest way to go, but lo-and-behold I found a 3.4 terabyte (raw capacity) array for $2800 on ebay. The cheapest I have found 300 gig drives is $254 dollars, and although 11 of those is the same price as the emc, they do not come with raid enclosures, and they aren't as freaking cool as having a huge mainframe-looking thing sitting in your dining room. I don't care how much noise they make!! They are sweet. I would be the envy of the geek community. Although I do need to factor in the shipping costs for a behemoth like that...

wooooow, that's cheap!! quite cheap...
As you said, you can get all disk drives out and put them in a shelf, after all they are SCSI disks.

funny you should say that, I actually have about 80 18gb scsi drives sitting on my shelf right now (bought 100 for $400 on ebay). Any more and I think the shelf will break...

well, there goes my bubble, I found out it won't even fit through my front door. It's 36.4 inches deep and like 6 feet wide and my door is only 32 inches wide. Or maybe I can take it apart and...

hehehe I told you... that's not gor you.

With too much disk drives, what's about your electricity bill!? hehe :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back