Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EMC RO dev: corrupt label - wrong magic number (can't set label with f 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apricot

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2002
CH
Hi,

I get the following error messages in my /var/adm/messages file:

Mar 21 13:38:42 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@1f,2000/fibre-channel@1/sd@0,0 (sd30):
Mar 21 13:38:42 corrupt label - wrong magic number
Mar 21 13:38:42 scsi: [ID 365881 kern.info] Vendor 'EMC', product 'SYMMETRIX', 15360 512 byte blocks

Also i cannot use the 'format' command to label the volume, which resides on an EMC² SAN, because it is a RO volume.
Is there a way to 'disable' these messages showing up every few seconds in my messages file ?

you can but need to use caution....

Fix
-------
You need to make the VCMDB writable, write a signature and then make it read-only again.  The following procedure may be run from any Unix or WIN NT/2000 host that can see gatekeepers on the associated Symmetrix and has SYMCLI installed.

1.  Backup the VCMDB.  The following procedure will not affect the VCMDB - but back it up anyway.
DOS command Window >>
cd \program files\?? ?? = Directory where the
Volume Logix Commands are located
vcmfind -d = the VCMDB device
fpath backupdb -d \\.\physicaldrive3 -o \VCMDBmmddyy

2.  Execute the following commands on a server with Solutions Enabler installed.

symcfg disc
symdg create vcmdbfix
symld -g vcmdbfix add dev ###    (where ### is the VCMDB dev number, usually 0)
symld -g vcmdbfix rw_enable DEV001

...  go to your WIN hosts and write a signature using disk administrator

symld -g vcmdbfix write_disable DEV001
symdg -force delete vcmdbfix

Disk administrator will no longer ask for a signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back