Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EMC FLARE OE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlen

Technical User
May 31, 2005
SE
Can anyone describe the FALRE OE to me? I am currently running 10 slot DAE as JBOD, but I am planning to implement a DPE at the end of the summer. Can anyone provide me with a good source of documentation on FLARE and EMC software and the DPE hardware.

Flare is the software used to manage the storage array. It is stored on specific disks (usually the first 3). When the storage array is powered up, the embedded loader looks for Flare and loads it into the Storage Processor. There are some documents available in this forum that describe the Flare FCLI interface. Just click on the light bulb.
You're not specific as to what software you are interested in. There are many products that can be used. The most common is the Navisphere product that is used to manage the array from a GUI interface. (Much easier than dealing with Flare CLI. Powerpath, Snapview, Access Logix are other products you may want to investigate to see if they would fit your storage plan. I'd suggest going to the emc.com website and look around. Read some of the white papers about different s/w pacakages, etc... Good luck.

What I really want to know is; what is the minimum software install for the Clariion DPE for it manage the disks. I am not daunted by using the cli, all of the enviroment that I deal with is UNIX and Cisco IOS. I don't plan to implement powerpath as I will me using Sun Storedge Trafic manager.

Base level management.. creating raid groups, luns, etc is available on all Clariions.
If you want something more sophisticated such as lun masking for access thru a switch, the revision will depend on the particular model dpe you intend to use.

Current target system is the FC-4700-1 or FC-4700-2 ( possible earlier systems too eg. FC-5300, depends on the budget ). I plan to run two Sun servers clustered. SAN will be based on 2 SW2800 and each server with 2 QLA2300 each. Is it enough to do LUN masking and Zoning with Switch and HBA?

Your going to want to stick to fc4500 or fc4700. FC5300 doesn't support Access Logix. The CX series would be a good choice if you can afford it. You're going to need Access Logix. So look for rev 6 on the fc4500 and rev 8 on the fc4700. Those revs will include access logix. I'm not sure about the Qlogic...I'll have to check and see if it is qualified for the Clariion. Emulex is the usual choice but Qlogic has been used in the past.

Wow, Access Logix doubles the price of the FC-4700!! My EMC supplier recommends Access Logix tier 5, which is 11000USD, can you explain the tier levels? Are there other tiers that reduce the price? I actually have some LP 8000's, but I am unsure if the card is supported with Sun's multipathing software, but I'll do some more research on this during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back