Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EMC FC4700 Used DAE reports all disks unformatted 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

teutenfw

Programmer
Dec 11, 2004
US
Just received a used DAE for my FC4700. It is immediately recognized but both Navi Mgr and the Navicli getdisk command report all the disks are present but unformatted. I expected to see the disks report unbound but this is my first DAE. So... how do I get the disks formatted? Hopefully there is a NaviCli command that will do this since I couldn't find an option in Navi Mgr 5.1.0 to do this for me. Thanks!

You may have a JBOD chassis. If so, the disks are all formated in 512/sec instead of 520/sec format. Give me the part number of one of the modules and I can confirm that if you like.

Thanks! Ok, the DAE part number is 005042830. The disk tray module has two stickers, one on each side. One side reads 36gb Disk Module 005046123. The other side reads SiliconGraphics 520 Sector Format Part# 9470503. I don't know if it matters but the drive itself is a Seagate Cheetah ST136403FC Firmware 3844. This seems to imply 520 sector format. But... please tell me how I can reformat them to 520 sector format. Thanks!!!

Well.. I'm not going to be much help.
The part number referenced only goes to SGI sold products so it is specific to their configuration. SGI uses a different 'type' selection for the Clariion but I don't know how that impacts the drives. The procedure to convert an SGI Clariion to an 'EMC Clariion' includes reloading flare.

So, it may still be that all you have to do is reformat the drives. In Navi Engineering mode, right clicking on a module allows you to select format. You might try that.

There may be some information you can use in this forum. If you go back to the list and click on the light bulb, you'll see an article by octarian with a link. He has some SGI documentation and other items of interest while not specific to the 4700 may help you out.

Thank You. Please tell me how to get into engineering mode. I presume I do something special when starting Navisphere Manager or when Navisphere Manager is running. Right now when I right click on a module I do not get a popup menu, i.e. to format. Thanks! If you prefer you can email me direct at fred>aitsnet.com, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back