Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EMC FC4700 New disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

hidden74

Technical User
Sep 1, 2005
US
Hi
We just got 3 new disks ST336704FCV and they are showing up as unformatted. I've checked thru the messages and it sounds like it is 512/520 issue. Is there a way to find out? I'm trying to get SCSItoolbox32 now but will it be able to see the drives thru the server and the DPE on the DAE? We tried the format option in "engineering mode" but there was no option that we could see. Could it be removed or were we looking in the wrong places? We are using Navisphere Manager 6.7. I've got seatools but they don't think it will work so they won't let me try it.
I am very new to SANs in general so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

TIA,
CC

Check that you're flare is at rev 8.44.04 / 8.44.51 (Access Logix).

Would that be an issue if all of the other drives are working? We are just replacing 3 drives. I didn't word my original situation correctly.

Depends on the drives you are replacing. If you already have the same model/capacity/rpm drives in the machine and you're replacing them, they should just be plug and play.

The model is the exactly the same, it is an issue with the possiblity of the drives not being formatted with a 520 block size. I have new drives that I know are formatted correctly on the way. I was just wondering if there was a way to check/change the drives so I can get this done faster.

I think the disk command in fcli will show you the sector format.
You might also try inserting the disk into a hot spare slot. I know that I have installed 512 sector disks before and inserted them into a bound slot with no trouble. The clariion took care of the formating. I may be a case of you inserting the new disks into unbound slots. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back