Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EMC CX-600 Help with parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

waqasulhaq

Technical User
Sep 9, 2008
US
Hi, i just bought a EMC Cx-600 System with 2 Storage Processors and 5 146GB Hard drives. I am also thinking of adding 5 73GB 10k Drives.

My question is would anyone know what type of hard drive this system takes (A link would be helpful)

Also what type of Brocade Switch should i buy to connect to multiple servers. i have heard that the Brocade 3200 Switch would work fine.

And last question, is an SPS Required for creating LUNS or does it only disable write Cache?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The CX-600 is two generations old (CX-700 replaced it and then the new CX3/4 replaced that). So getting parts might be hard. Where did you buy it?

Any Brocade would work. I would look at the 300 series, as they are spec'd for 8Gbps and are the replacement for the 4100. All depends on what you have to spend. A 320 with 16 ports and 3 years support is ~$8000. I'm sure the 3200 would be cheap, but for good reason (old, 8 ports, only 2Gbps, etc).

I'm not sure what you're asking in your last question. So I'll leave that for someone else.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

hello what kind of flare is installed which version? if the version 19 is installed you can use every 2GBit version of fc hard disk up to 300GB.
batterie only disables cache. but you need the cache otherwise it is very very slow
brocade 3800 or 3850 is fine or mcdata 2Gbit switches

I was under the understanding that you can go all the way up to 500GB drives in the CX600, so long as the flare is updated.

We're running two cx600's currently for our DR. When we need parts or drives we use these guys:

they have parts for all of the emc cx systems. Brendan is our rep there, he's pretty knowledgeable.

Hope this helps!

JOE

You can create a LUN without SPS also but, the read and write cache will be disabled without Standby Power supply. Not just for caching, it is advisble to have a SPS for your CX-600.

Hi waqasulhaq,

Rockland IT and BL Trading are huge in refurbished products for EMC. BL Trading is an ASN partner.

Meg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back