Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embedding SWF movie with manual play

Status
Not open for further replies.

lintalee

Technical User
Apr 6, 2008
US
A newbie here. I want to embed a SWF movie on my web page, and have some questions:

1) When the Adobe Flash Player is called up, its settings automatically start the movie. Is there a way to change these settings so that when a third-party accesses the page, I can direct the visitor to right-click to start play manually? Is there a way to delay the start until a significant portion of the buffering is attained?

2) I'm working in GoLive and Macromedia Pro 8. I've learned that in Dreamweaver, the designer can easily create a media skin with controls that will attach to the swf movie file. Is there a way to do the same thing in GoLive with the swf object palette?

3)I've tried to create the manual play button in Flash 8, but for some reason the button does not travel and function with the published swf file.

4)In the end, all I need is a simple Youtube-like skin to start the movie, but accomplishing this with a swf has proven more difficult than it probably should be.

Any insight on these would be greatly appreciated.

1) You can. To stop the play-head use [tt]stop();[/tt]. Then [tt]play();[/tt] to start.

2) No idea

3) What is the code you're using for your button?

4) YouTube is FLV. If you're talking about SWF it's slightly different (i.e. buffering vs pre-loading). Google "flash preloading".

Kenneth Kawamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back