Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embedding fields in text box for dynamic group growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

fogyreef

Technical User
Mar 8, 2004
US
The following code represents a Claim# with Asserted and Modified records. Different claims may have one or more rows of data.

Above the claim is the reason for modification. The reason may be one line or a long paragraph.

Problem: Pretend the code box is a text box and the text and formula fields are placed inside it. The text below the Lorem ipsum paragraph will properly displace down as the paragraph changes size, and the first row of formula fields will populate properly. However, subsequent rows don't know to indent and wind up tucked under Claim#.

Question: Is there a way to keep the formatting such that as the paragraph grows text below it shifts down, while keeping the columns lined up properly?

Desired Result:
Code:
[u][b]Reason for Modification:[/b][/u] 
"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor 
incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud
exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. 

[COLOR=#FFFFFF].[/color]                    [u][b]Asserted[/u]                                     [u]Modified[/b][/u]
[u][b]Claim#[/b][/u]       [u][b]Classification / Amount[/b][/u]                      [u][b]Classification / Amount[/b][/u]
3378         Secured - $8,019.60                          Unsecured - $333,333.00[COLOR=#FFFFFF][/color]
             Priority - $111,111.00
             Unsecured - $2,222,222.00

Current result:
Code:
[u][b]Reason for Modification:[/b][/u] 
"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor 
incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud
exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. 

[COLOR=#FFFFFF].[/color]                    [u][b]Asserted[/u]                                     [u]Modified[/b][/u]
[u][b]Claim#[/b][/u]       [u][b]Classification / Amount[/b][/u]                      [u][b]Classification / Amount[/b][/u]
3378         Secured - $8,019.60                          [COLOR=#FFFFFF][/color]
Priority - $111,111.00
Unsecured - $2,222,222.00                                 Unsecured - $333,333.00

That's not the purpose that a TextBox was designed for. So when you attempt to distort that purpose at odds with the design, all sorts of unintended consequences ensue. Kinda like life, eh?

A TextBox is designed for the input of a value.

You might try a grid of some sort.

Not clear to me how this is laid out. But if Claims#, Asserted Classification / Amount, Modified Classsification / Amount fields are all in a text box. You can set up tabs inside of a text box, most of the time they work pretty good. You also can to paragraph indenting.

Thanks, Skip. I understand that's not the purpose of a text box. I also understand Crystal Reports is somewhat "flexible".

It's been 10 years since I worked in Crystal Reports (or in corporate for that matter) and back in 2001 I created something that Crystal Reports told me couldn't be done. I'm sad to see it's still as buggy and "flexible" as before. That said, though the text box wasn't designed for it, it was doing a grand job of displaying my fields, until I added multiple columns. I'll go study grids and see what they offer. Thanks.

Kray4660: Picture the code graphic as the text box itself. Everything from the bold headers to the database fields lie within. I'll go look at how to set up tabs.

Thanks for the ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back