Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

embedded video clip 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrowne

Programmer
Feb 1, 2000
IE
Hi Guys,

This is not really my area of expertise so I need a little help. My question is a two parter.

Firstly I need to embed a video clip onto a webpage but I do not want the user to have control over the video clip. What I mean here is that when the webpage is displayed - the video clip will p[lay automatically and the user will not have access to the "play", "fast forward", "rewind", "pause", or "stop" buttons. This ensures that the user must watch the clip in full.

The second part is as follows: When the video clip has finished (only when it has finished) - I need the webpage to display a link to another page so that the user can continue on and doesn't get stuck on this page.

The background to this is that I have a registration form - the user will fill in the first page - click 'next' and then goes to the above video page to watch a video about health and safety and when that video is complete, they are directed back to a final registration page.

So in summary - I need a webpage with an embedded video that does not show the control buttons and that displays a url link only after the video has played.

Any ideas folks

Thanks in advance
John B

This ensures that the user must watch the clip in full.
Oh no it doesn't.

Bet here's a few ideas or you could use the HTML5 Video element if you want it fully 'interactive' with the rest of the document(s).

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply - I have since figured out how to remove the video controls but the second part my problem has me stumped. How do I display a hyperlink back to the final registration page when the video finishes playing. It sounds like it should be something that has been done before but I can't seem to find any easy solution. Again I am very much a beginner with all this stuff.

thanks
JB

Depends on what the video has be coded in.

If it is flash or similar then it has to be in the video or the 'movie' have been created with 'hooks' for JavaScript events or triggers.

If is it HTML5 there are 'listeners' that can be used to trigger further actions.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

The video is an embedded youtube video

Regards
John B

I would place a link below the video with a 'click here after you have seen the video' type link.
It will give your visitor a direction even if they don't watch the video until the end.
The following page should then ask a question about something which happens towards the end of the video.
If your visitor is genuinely interested in what you are offering, they will go back to see what they missed.
I am no psychologist but I bet this is the type of stuff people spend hours in lectures, learning.

Keith

Thanks audiopro - I completely agree with your suggestion and had actually suggested that myself but he powers that be don't want the question option.

The important people always know best, even when they are wrong.
If the video is Elf & Safe Tea, it is important that the content of the video is not only watched but understood.

Keith

I couldn't agree more!

Unfortunately they pay the wages at the end of the day so I still need to go with the original way of doing it.

Unfortunately they pay the wages at the end of the day so I still need to go with the original way of doing it

And if it is not possible to accomplish that?????

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

I have made a little progress on doing it the original way so I can't say that its not possible yet. Thanks for your suggestion though - it would have been my prefered way of doing it too.

It is possible, provided the original video has been coded with that in mind.

As it is a YouTube video you should give the YouTube API a look over.

It may save you you some time.

On the "original way" though, I always found it amusing when 'managers' insist on something that MUST be done their way, then complain that you have spent far too much time on doing it "their way" after you told them it would only take a third of the time if we did .... this ... instead.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Many years ago it was considered bad practice to use pop ups, fly in banner ads and automatic videos but in this enlightened age it is considered the norm.
We used to share instructions in a paragraph, or two of text but now we have to listen to someone droning on in a video for three or four minutes.

Keith

but now we have to listen to someone droning on in a video for three or four minutes.

And quite often with some crappy "Drum 'n' Bass" track playing in the background!

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

And quite often with some crappy "Drum 'n' Bass" track playing in the background!
Well they should use one of mine, then it wouldn't be crappy :)

OP -> Your main question is answered here :

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back