Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embedded pictures and paragraph line spacing issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
I'm having an issue with Paragraph line spacing that started with 2007 and persists in 2010. In my documentation I frequently use numbered lists for steps and use a lot of screenshots as well. Since I don't want the pictures numbered I will write a description of the step then use SHIFT+ENTER for a soft return then paste the picture.

What's started happening in the newer versions of Word is when the description is long enough to word wrap, the pasted picture will end up 'shifted' upward a few pixels within its bounding box. On the screen the text will overlay the very top of the picture but on print, the picture will obscure the text above it. This doesn't happen all the time but when it does, there doesn't appear to be any way to correct it.

I've tried playing with the text wrap, but that 'disconnects' the picture from the numbered item which is untenable. Any ideas?

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Hi Jeff,

Since Word uses the attached printer's driver to lay out the page, does it matter what printer/print driver you use? Have you tried it with a printer from a different maker (or even a PDF 'print' driver)?

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Changing printers does not make a difference.

Once the offset has occurred for a given paragraph, I can delete the pic and insert a different one and the offset will persist. If I save as Word 2003 format the problem is corrected. Unfortunately we want all our documentation to be in the current native format. It's almost like a bug that's inserting some kind of hidden tag I can't get rid of.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

One last interesting fact. If I upsave the 2003 version back to 2010 the problem comes back if I uncheck the "maintain compatibility with previous versions" box.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Does it make a difference if you turn off Word 2010's image compression (available via the 'Picture Tools' tab)?

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

That didn't make a difference. One thin that occurred to me is that my docs are based on a standard template originally created on Word 2003. I upgraded it to 2010. It's a very simple template: header with a logo, a footer and a few standard styles, however it was upgraded.

I recreated the template from scratch, natively in 2010. In the document I'm working on now based on the mew template, the problem has not yet occurred. I'm thinking there's some subtle bug in the format upgrade routines. It would be nice to repair my existing documents, but hopefully I have it solved going forward at least.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back