Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embed Word doc in Excel spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBAchick

Programmer
Apr 27, 2000
Info:

Running Word and Excel 2000 but saving both files as 97 compatible.

I have seen this done in Word, but not Excel. I want to create a spreadsheet that has a Word Doc 'embedded' in it.

I have created the spreadsheet that will be sent out to various people, now I want the document actually embedded in the spreadsheet and not linked to a local file.

I would like for there to be an icon on one of the worksheets with the name of the .doc file. When you click on the word icon, the word document would open in Word.

I have inserted an object, but it actually just creates a link to the document on my hard drive. I want to be able to send the spreadsheet file and have the word doc be 'inside.'

Is this even possible?

Any help is appreciated!

You were correct, you want to Insert, Object, Create from File, Select the file, click Display as Icon, just don't check the box for Link to File. Unfortunately, it seems to embed the whole path as part of the file name, I don't think there is an easy way to fix that. But that may have been what was throwing you off. Good luck

Hi DBAchick,

Here's a method I believe you'll find workable...

Steps:

1) In your Excell workbook, create a SEPARATE sheet.

2) In this separate sheet, embed your Word document. If you already have it created, use these steps - to change it from a "disk-based" file to an "embedded" file.

3) Use: Insert - Object - Microsoft Word Document.

4) Resize the object to accommodate the size of the Word file that you'll be copying into this embedded object.

5) In Word, open the file from disk.

6) Highlight the entire file - you can use <Control> A.

7) Copy the highlighted file - <Control> C.

8) Go to your Excel sheet - <Alt> <Tab> - and to the embedded Word object.

9) Paste - <Control> V.

10) Re-size again if necessary.

11) Go to your sheet where you want to place your Icon.

12) Insert a macro button, and code that will take the user to the sheet containing the Word document.

13) Change the name on the button to an appropriate name such as &quot;Go To Word Document&quot;.

14) The following is an example of the code to attache to the button...

Sub GoTo_WordDoc()
Worksheets(&quot;WordDoc&quot;).Select
Application.Goto Reference:=&quot;R1C1&quot;
End Sub

15) Reminder: To edit this embedded file, you need to:
a) Right click on the object.
b) Choose &quot;Documnent Object&quot; - &quot;Open&quot; - which will open the document in Word ...MUCH easier than if you were to choose &quot;Edit&quot;.

Hope this helps. :) Please advise as to how you make out.

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back