Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embed .EX4 / .EXE to Powerpoint Presentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autosys

Programmer
Jun 1, 2004
GB
Hello Everyone ..

I was wondering whether there was a way to embed a file (.EX4) into a Powerpoint presentation - Mainly to transport it with the rest of a package so that users can use it while going through the presentation.

The idea is not to run the file within the presentation, but merely to keep presentation related stuff together with the rest of the content so that it can be distributed. It's not a movie that needs running.

My assumption is that the limitations here will be similar to .EXE files, but I'm hoping that there may also be a work-around? It seems that Powerpoint allows you to drag it onto the slide, and can even copy it from there again, but then I assume it somehow corrupts the file as it doesn't work properly after that.

I understand the security concerns around embedding compiled software in word / excel / powerpoint docs - but thought I would check anyway!

Thanks a lot.

Autosys

You can insert a package (object), next import any single file you like.

combo

thanks Combo ..

I believe I have tried your suggestion - thanks for that.

For example - In Powerpoint 2010 - I go Insert --> Object --> From File ... select the EX4 file and it embeds fine. I have done the same thing with a ZIP file containing the EX4 file.

Problem is, the .EX4 file appears to be corrupt after copying it out of the presentation again? As for the ZIP file, it appears to be empty (corrupt?) after copying it out of the presentation.

Ever seen this behaviour?

Cheers

Autosys

I don't know 2012. I meant Insert>Object>Package, and next import file from the package menu. This works in 2003 version.
However, in 2003, direct Insert>Object>From file does exactly the same and works ok.

combo

thanks again for trying to help combo ..

I can add a package, but the problem is when I try to copy and paste the file into it's application folder out of the Powerpoint document the binary data in the file is corrupt / updated by powerpoint - not only does it add a file path but it also messes around with the content - I assume this is the Microsoft Security Patch doing this?

Cheers

Autosys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back