Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embarrassingly simple questions (for you seasoned pro's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerX

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2001
US
I'm a NetWare admin who recently inherited a small Win NT 4.0 network (which I'm really enjoying by the way).

My questions are (simply enough):

1). How to I configure the HOME share to NOT show the other users directories? I removed the 'Traverse Folder' right from the Everyone group (but did not 'Deny' the permission for fear that I'd be locked out) but it didn't work.

2). Can I 'map' a drive directly to the users 'Home' directory rather than to the HOME share?

3). Can someone post an example of their login script (so I can plagiarize it ;-) ).

Thanks in advance,
Tom

1. Unlike Novell, I do not believe you can deny the view of a directory...even if it is not accessible.

However...if you do not make the HOME directory shared, most users will not be able do anything anyway.

2. Remove the share from HOME.
Share the user directory.

i.e. \home\larry
\home\moe
\home\curly

Share Larry, Moe and Curly. Under Permissions for Larry give all rights to Larry and Administrator. Make sure you also apply the rights to all the files and sub folders.

3. Put this in c:\winnt\system32\repl\import\scripts
In user profile you must put in the path on the top line
and the batch file name on the 2nd line.
officelog.bat
net use f: \\servername\sharename
net use g: \\servername\apps (apps is shared)
net use i: \\servername\graphics
net use h: \\servername\%username% maps to user's home
net use lpt1: \\servername\printer share name (for DOS printing only)

Glenn

What we have always done is this:

DO NOT map the upper level folder where the user's home folders will be located. Instead, create the home folders that match the usernames, and share them with a trailing dollar sign ($), such as "usera$". The dollar sign makes the shares hidden (not browseable). If other users can't see them, they cannot open the folder and see what is inside.

Specify the user's home folder in User Manager for Domains as "\\servername\%USERNAME%$". This will act roughly the same as a Netware MAP ROOT command.

It'll look something like this:

D:\USERS\USER1 (Share: user1$)
\USER2 (Share: user2$)
\USER3 (Share: user3$)

Since the user's entry point is directly to their home directory, they'll never see the others. If you need to map to the home folder from a login script, use "NET USE N: /HOME". Winlogon will consult USer Manager for the location of the home folder.

Hope this helps...:cool: - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back