Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Emails 'left' in queue directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgeroonie

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2003
GB
I have a single W2K (SP3) server with Exchange 2000 (SP3) installed. The email system is working fine, but a small number of messages which have been delivered to their receipients remain in the queue directory.

Any ideas why this is happening or what problem it indicates?

Many thanks in advance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you did post the question earlier in another thread? I was trying to communicate in the earlier thread.

I have that problem too. letters accumulate slowly and steadily in %Exchsrvr_dir%\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue. all of them are multi part mime messages. We have Xwall in front of Exchange, it re-assembles messages, removing malformed attachment encoding. What is your setup?

Exh sp3, april post-SP3 update rollup.

Correct, I did post in an earlier thread, but as nobody picked up on it, I put it up again. I was hoping someone might respond to your additions and give us a way forward.

We are also on SP3 and I have applied the latest post-SP3 rollup, but this still hasn't cured it. The messages being trapped are nothing special - many have been successfully delivered, they just have not been deleted from the directory. Some are virus infected, having been caught by our AV software (ETrust 7), but again they are not deleted.

What's your AV software? If you run Computer Associates software, then perhaps the problem lies there?

We use Netscreen VPN boxes to connect to the Internet, which have an inbuilt firewall.

Same AV, ETrust 7.0, Exchange module installed, teh server happens to be our AV admin server too.

Investigating the "AV is the culprit" idea I tried to tweak ETrust mail module settings, changing this and that with no particular plan, since nothing seemed to possibly correspond with the problem.

Stranded messages were not positively identified as infected or even looked like acted upon by AV. So I looked at pre-scan actions, tried disabling copying before scanning, though judging by CA help it seemed unlikely. No result.

I now am disabling ETrust Exchange module, instead it is now being configured to only check mailflow through XWall proxy, before Exchange receives messages. Surely I will write back with any results.

Regards,

Dmitrij

Interesting......I look forward to hearing if you find anything!

I'll try and find the time to do some investigattions myself.

We are on W2k SP4, exchange sp3+, running innoculate 6 with the exchange option. Also have mail in this folder, some of it infected, the etrust does not cure / delete it - any ideas ?

Cheers

Paul

Disabling Exchange option did not help. Instead " disabling Scan Alternate Data Streams" in realtime monitor seems to do the job. Unfortunately I only did it in the last hours of the working week, no messages acculumulating in the queue still can be due to the light mail traffic. Try it and write back here.

Regards,

Dmitrij

No stranded messages for Monday. curiously, after exchange module reinstallation I tried switching back "alternate data streams" option and it didn't result in anything in the queue dir. I hate being clueless..:)

did you tried tweaking ETrust/Inoculate? Did it help?

Regards,

dmitrij

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back