Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Emailing HUGE attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggerBrother

Technical User
Sep 9, 2003
GB
Ok, I have a large problem with attachments. I need to be able to send files, which are zip files, of around 50-150MB in size.

My issue is that I've tried using poSendMail and a couple of other methods, but so far to no avail. I realise that this size of file takes a while to send, but at the moment, it doesn't seem to be sending at all. The only criteria I have, is that it has to be sent without using any other mail software, such as outlook, adn there are more than 2 recipients. Apart from that, as long as I can send large attachments, I'm open to any ideas anyone has.

Many thnaks,

BB

two problems there

A 150 MB file will increase to 200MB when sent.

Most mailboxes for any ISP/private company WILL NOT ALLOW that size of a message, even if the sender allows it.

but try and set the following.
MessageTimeout

Public Property Get MessageTimeout() As Long
Public Property Let MessageTimeout(ByVal NewValue As Long)

This property controls how long, in seconds, the program should wait for a response after attempting to send the message body and any attachment before raising a time out error. If this property is not set, the program will wait 60 seconds on messages with no attachments, or 10 minutes for messages with attachments. Be careful about setting this property if you are planning to send large attachments; if you lower it too much, you may get time out errors on these messages.

using
vbSendMail.dll
Version 3.65

by

Dean Dusenbery & FreeVBCode.com

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

If I were the mail server administrator, I'd kill you. :) Talk about sucking up bandwidth.
You're better off (and much nicer to the servers involved) to push that zip file to an ftp/http folder somewhere and then simply emailing a link to it.

Or break zip file into set of smaller zip files ....

I would vote for breaking the file into multiple pieces, of no more than 5mb in size. Your recipient might still have mailbox size problems (30 5mb files are larger than one 150mb file), but the message transfer agents probably will be able to handle them. I would mark the emails "part 1 of 30" "part 2 of 30", etc.

Your recipient can probably use the Copy command with the /B switch to reassemble them.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back