Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

email/webserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

raquetman75

Technical User
Apr 18, 2003
US
I been an accidental network administrator when the fellow left the company. That' was 3 years ago so I can tell you that I have fair skill on windows 2000 client/server environment. My problem now is my Boss is planning us to host our email and webserver from our ISP. Can somebody advise me what are the h/w and s/w needed to accomplished this. Is it difficult to maintain?. Aside from servers, we have 1 cisco router and netscreen firewall. We are 1 company only with no branch (70 users). $ is not much of concern:).

** I have not much of idea what are the pros and the cons but I'm leaning on Ex 2000 and IIS 5.0. Anyone? Thanks.

Basically sounds like you have everything you need Win2k server and Exchange should do it. There are some pretty serios security concerns related to IIS 5 but it should be fine provided you install all Security updates before going live AND KEEP CURRENT check for updates weekly. The rest is basically just setup
1. Register your domain name and also register your Static IP as a name server "this done via your registrar"
2. Open ports on your firewall and router DNS, WEB, EMAIL
3. Configure DNS for your domain via the Win2k DNS console creating MX records as well, configure IIS and create your exchange users. and your all set.
I would be more than happy to answer any question you may have dyndns@seznam.cz
Sam Land

Thanks for the reply, I'll go 4 Exchange 2000 and IIS 5 tehn. I think I will post if I encounter hicupps during the set up or maybe email you.

Thanks again.

As mentioned previously, IIS does have some serious vulnerabilities. However with service packs and hotfixes you can reduce them greatly. Another thing to do would be to apply the IIS Lockdown tool. The URLScan is especially useful as it rejects many common webpage hacking probes.

The rest mentioned above is basically the steps to go. YOu probably are already going to do this but just as a reminder, put your webserver in a DMZ and your mail server internal.

Good luck,

Claudius (What certifications??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back